Study Visit - (Y) Wadi Rum, Jordan, from 12- 17 Dec. 2021
Focusing on Mental health, digitalization and diversity & inclusion inyouth work; the most pressing challenges we are facing in the future.
The project, which is funded by the Erasmus Plus program of the European Union, was coordinated by Jugendzentrum Perg - Austria and implemented by Desert Bloom for Training & Sustainable Development in Jordan. 52 youth workers and civil society leaders took part in this study visit from 12 European and Southern Mediterranean countries. The project has fostered participants’ Mental Health, Digitalization and Diversity competencies which are needed to handle the aftermath of COVID-19 and tackle current and future global challenges. Below, are the major activities:
- On the first day, we focus on understanding Mental Health and the power of thinking and some digital skills. In the evening, we had the cultural night where participants had a chance to introduce their countries and culture.
- On the second day, the participants had the chance to represent their organisations and share their experiences. Then we had an Art Psychotherapy session where participants had the chance to express negative experiences that are too difficult to put into words by drawing. In the evening, participants were divided into teams to play an outdoor digital game in the old city of Amman (Citadel and Roman Theatre).
- The morning of the third day was dedicated to resilience and recovering from mental health problems. In this respect, we held a zoom session on prevention of mental health problems with the Royal Health Awareness Society. In the afternoon, we visited two civil society organisations; the “Forearms of change”, which focuses on mental health and “El-Hassan Youth Award” which focuses on youth empowerment.
- On the fourth day, we moved to the south and continued our experiential experience in Wadi Rum where participants had a chance to explore the desert and experience Bedouin local culture and traditions.
- On the fifth day we moved to Petra (an ancient city that was the center of an Arab kingdom in Hellenistic and Roman times. It was the capital of the Nabataean empire between 400 B.C. and A.D.106) ·
- The sixth day was dedicated to raising awareness about the Erasmus Plus program, building partnerships and planning& drafting mutual projects under the Erasmus plus program.
Below is a short video about the project.